On Thursday’s class, we read some methodologies in both Science and Social Science characteristics. Our group focus on the Social Science methodology, but it is so difficult to understand for us.
From the diagram the author provided, it is clear that Artistic Methodology built on absorbing some features of the three existing methodologies. In this process, Social Science Methodology were promoted by the value of Newtonian and Quantum methodologies, and then were considered legitimate procedures as a guidance for Artistic Methodology.
Following is about establishing methodologies in these areas and how they effect each other.
Fine Art Methodologies
- Generation(manipulation of materials in the studio)
- Selection(elements of form & pattern identified whilst engaged in 1)
- Synthesis(conceptualisation & planning of a piece of work)
- Articulation(articulation of problems or concerns emerging from 1, 2 & 3,contextualising these, where appropriate)
- Presentation(of 3 & 4 so as to engage critical attention)
- Critical Discussion(which may generated new ideas, and back 1)
Design methodology in relation to practice
- Collection of data(visual, written,oral)
- Analysis & synthesis
- Testing against known visual and performance norms
- Human reactions and responses
- Compromise with regard to context, function, ergonomics,manufacturing & material constraints
Then,in order to explore some cultural phenomenon, we did a brainstorming about the features of Social Science Methodology.
According to the social phenomenon provided of Bio Hacking (cultural,educational, behavioral…), our opinions are quite different. Yoogle and me believes that it is a kind of technology of biology, while Winnie believes that Bio-Haching is a biotechnological social movement, therefore we have not produced an identical proposal so far. However, finally we had engaged some methods by considering problems in different perspectives.
1, Come up with speculative questions.
What human can learn from Bio hacking?(educational)
How do people do in Biohacking venues?(behavioral)
Why did this phenomenon appear?(cultural)
Where are the Biohacking venues normally?(contextual)
2, Collect data: From Internet, Biohacking venues, Library
3, Analysis data(answer the questions above):from educational, behavioral, humanistic, man made phenomena, contextual aspects
4, Speculative outcomes(predict the future of Bio-Hacking)